The selection exam provides the CASA selection committee with a comprehensive measure of the applicant's current level of proficiency in Arabic, and helps to place her/him in the appropriate class if she/he is accepted into the program.
CASA requires ACTFL scores for: Listening Comprehension, Reading Comprehension, and Oral proficiency. The Reading and Listening sections are administered online and applicants will need access to the Internet in order to complete the exam. All sections of the exam are intended to gauge different levels of proficiency, and may include material that is beyond an applicant's present level of competency in Arabic. Examinees should answer as much as possible and attempt to answer all questions. By following the exam registration instructions below, your scores will automatically be shared with CASA.
All CASA applicants are required to take all sections of the exam, unless they are able to email an official ACTFL certificate from a recent test to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please note, only exams taken after August 1, 2023 will be considered. Exams administered by LTI, Flagship or Boren or undertaken while completing a program such as CLS will be accepted.)
To request exam accommodations, please see the Test Accommodations page of the LTI website. A minimum of 10 business days prior to the exam is required.
The CASA Selection Exam includes the following (sections 1-2 will require a remote proctor):
I. Reading (Online, 40 points) - Time: up to 125 minutes
A variety of written texts are presented for reading and the applicant is asked to select an appropriate response (in a multiple choice format) to a question about the content of each passage provided. The applicant will receive a mix of questions in Level I - Intermediate, Level II - Advanced, and Level III - Superior.
II. Listening (Online, 30 points) - Time: up to 125 minutes
Sound clips are presented and the applicant is asked to select an appropriate responses (in a multiple choice format) to questions about the content of each clip. The applicant will receive a mix of questions in varying levels.
III. OPI (Oral Proficiency Interview, 30 points) - Time: 20-30 minutes
The OPI measures your Arabic speaking ability in an unscripted conversation over the phone or online platform. You will be able to schedule an appointment during a period of 3-4 weeks in January-February that will be updated on the Application Instructions page each year.
This year, the Writing exam will not be taken as a part of the Selection process. Those selected will take the Writing exam prior to departure.
Below are links to Demos for the new ACTFL exam. Select the "Demo test" button and follow instructions for each section. While these samples are not in Arabic, they will give you an idea of the format of your exam. ACTFL tests many languages and does not have samples in each language.
The dates for taking the 2023-2024 Selection Exams for CASA I, II and III (registration info below):
- Reading & Listening: may be taken between December 1, 2023 - February 15, 2024
You may register for Reading/Listening using the instructions below using a remote proctor.
- OPI (oral proficiency interview) deadline: Thursday, February 15, 2024
- You will receive instructions for scheduling the OPI interview via email within a few days of submitting your application starting in January. The cost for this exam is included in your application fee.
It is advised that you schedule the exam with enough lead time (at least 4-7 days before the deadline) for retakes or rescheduling in case of technical issues or illness. By using the exam registration instructions below, your scores will automatically be shared with CASA.
NOTE: Exams must be proctored at all times, even at universities where the honor system is used, and the presence of a designated proctor is required during all sections of the exam.
Registering for Exams
- Reading/Listening Exam Registration:
Exam fees, including the remote proctor fee, will be covered by applicants. The fee of $102 will be paid by credit card directly to ACTFL at the time of exam registration. By following the instructions for registration below your exams scores will be shared with CASA automatically.
Please use the instructions in the link below and register for Reading/Listening at least a week in advance:
*IMPORTANT NOTE BEFORE Registering! In the text box under "What school or institution are you looking for?," enter "Center for Arabic Study Abroad."
*Exam Registration Instructions - Language Testing International (LTI)
Questions about the Exam Registration process: LTI 1-800-486-8444
- Oral Proficiency Interview Exam Registration: In January, we will begin emailing those who have submitted their application with instructions for scheduling the OPI interview. Please register for an interview time within a few days.
- Technical requirements and systems check for your computer before taking tests
- Exams must be proctored at all times, even at universities where the honor system is used, and the presence of a designated proctor is required during all sections of the exam.
- Dictionaries, textbooks, notebooks, or note-taking are not permitted during the exam.
- Exams may not be copied.
- Proctors should not be a teacher/professor of Arabic, and if at all possible, not a speaker of Arabic. Proctors agree to monitor the applicant for the duration of the exam.
- Upon completion of the exam, the proctor must immediately submit the writing sections of the exam to ACTFL (if booklet form used), where they will be reviewed and scored.